This is an intensive day for those with some experience, with the main focus on exercises to advance your soldering skills.
Improve your soldering skills through demonstrations and exercises and make a start on a project that you can finish at home. You will be focusing on silver soldering and the course will cover pallion, stick and sweat soldering.
The day will start with a general overview of the technical processes at play when soldering, along with information on various torches and soldering equipment.
The practical section of the day will begin with a demonstration, followed by an exercise. This will then be repeated for each type of soldering technique.
Please note that this one-day class is not suitable for beginners. Please sign up to a suitable one-day jewellery making class if you are a beginner.
Timetable for one day courses
Students should arrive by 9am for registration.
Classes are from 9.15 - 5pm
Lunch is included.
- An individual pack of materials for the set projects is provided. This pack includes silver solders, copper sheet and a soldering paintbrush.
What students need to bring
- Please bring any solder, silver wire and sheet if you already have some.
- Silver earring posts and tools applicable to soldering if you have them
- An apron
- Something to tie your hair back with, if it is long
Available to buy
- Available from shop:
- Silver can be purchased from the College Shop, which stocks a range of sheet, wire, rod, tube and findings. These will be available in set sizes and lengths suitable for a wide range of projects.
- Copper and brass sheet
- Available from tutor:
- Silver earring posts
Please note: Recommended bullion suppliers: Argex Ltd, Metalor Ltd, Exchange Findings Ltd, Bloomsteins. Cookson Precious Metals Ltd, Metalor Ltd
Please wear appropriate clothing/aprons for the workshop or studio, this includes stout covered footwear (no open toes or sandals).