The day will begin with an in-depth lecture on why and how plants are scented and how we can use scented plants to our advantage in design. Annie has gathered interesting research information from various designers and horticulturalists on how they use scented plants, which she will share on the day.
There will be a discussion on how to research scented plants that are suitable for your own garden and Annie will demonstrate how to plot a planting plan.
You will then have the opportunity to begin researching the appropriate scented plants for your garden under Annie’s supervision, with guidance on where to source your plants.
The aim is to share enough information during the day to enable you to create your own planting plan at home, once you have completed the day.
Timetable for one day courses
Students should arrive by 9am for registration.
Classes are from 9.15 - 5pm
Lunch is included.
What students need to bring
- Tracing paper, either A3 or A2
- Layout paper, A3 or A2
- A circle guide
- A scale ruler
- A mechanical pencil and eraser
- Any garden books or magazines for reference (West Dean will also provide reference material.)
- Coloured pencils (not essential, but useful)
- Photos of your garden (or area to be planted)
- Information on your soil – pH and soil type, i.e. Clay, sandy, loam
Available to buy
- Available from shop:
- All of the drawing items and paper above can be purchased at West Dean.
Please wear appropriate clothing/aprons for the workshop or studio, this includes stout covered footwear (no sandals or open toes).