This course will introduce you to the techniques of traditional passementerie tassel making, but with today’s interiors and soft furnishings in mind. You can expect to complete a full-size tassel and cord suitable to hang on a curtain, or as a pull.
You will work with good quality Swedish linen yarns, in a rich colour range, and wooden tassel moulds. Techniques include how to roll the mould with a cord, make a wired skirt and ruff at the waist. You will also be learn how to make a variety of cords using a four-hook cord-twister, including the rolling cords and suspension cords.
The tutor will demonstrate technique at each stage, and guide the student through to completed work.
Timetable for one day courses
Students should arrive by 9am for registration.
Classes are from 9.15 - 5pm
Lunch is included.
- All of the materials including the linen yarn, a tassel mould and Uhu glue to complete one tassel are supplied.
What students need to bring
- Notebook and pen, or a camera if you like to keep a photographic record of processes
- Tape measure or ruler
- SHARP scissors – one small and one large pair.
- Wire snips – if you have them
- An ordinary hair comb
Available to buy
- Available from shop:
- Uhu clear glue, if additional is required
- Available from tutor:
- You may also buy extra materials for further work at home from the tutor by cash or bank transfer.
Please wear appropriate clothing/aprons for the workshop or studio, this includes stout covered footwear (no sandals or open toes).