Create a mosaic mandala, working with new and reclaimed mosaic materials. Learn cutting techniques with a range of tools and how to place the tiles to create rhythm and flow to your desired design.
Through creative mosaic activity, you will develop ideas and artistic inspiration, and you will learn new skills and theory around the subject. You will explore how pattern, shape and the use of a variety of materials influence your designs.
Practical tips will be given to boost and improve wellbeing and develop your creative confidence. You will be provided with an environment where you can flourish and your ideas can be realised.
On the final afternoon, you will grout and polish your piece, ready to take home.
Arrival Day - this is the first date listed above
Courses start early evening. Residential students to arrive from 4pm, non-residential students to arrive by 6.45pm.
6.45pm: Welcome, followed by dinner (included).
8 - 9pm: First teaching session, attendance is essential.
Classes 9.15 - 5pm, lunch is included.
From 6.30pm: Dinner (included for residential students).
Evening working - students may have access to workshops until 9pm, but only with their tutor's permission and provided any health and safety guidelines are observed.
Classes 9.15am - 3pm, lunch is included.
Residential students are to vacate their rooms by 10am please.
(This timetable is for courses of more than one day in length. The tutor may make slight variations)
- On this course, the tutor will supply some of the materials, including cement, grout and a range of tiles and mosaic materials.
- The College will supply 30cm base boards.
What students need to bring
- You might like to bring material to include in your mosaics, e.g. china plates with interesting patterns and borders, found fragments of pottery from beaches or river banks, or any other ceramic material or mosaic tiles that you might like to include in your work.
- Sketchbooks and notebooks
- A collection of small plastic boxes for bits is useful.
- Packaging to take the mosaic home
- Covered footwear (essential)
Available to buy
- Available from shop:
- A good variety of general art materials
- Available from tutor:
- The tutor will bring specialist mosaic materials and extra mosaic materials for further projects. Additional materials can be purchased from the tutor.
Please wear appropriate clothing/aprons for the workshop or studio. This includes stout covered footwear, i.e. no open-toes or sandals.