On this course, you will be taught the skills needed to make your own bespoke hand stitched lampshade. The tutor will give group demonstrations, with individual discussion and tuition, as needed, to develop specific ideas or practise key techniques.
The course will begin on the first evening with an explanation about different styles of lampshades and discussion about the key role that they can play as part of a vibrant and interesting interior design scheme. We will look at different textiles, colours and patterns, and you will be encouraged to talk about the fabrics that you have brought with you.
Over the following two days, the tutor will guide you through the process of making your tailored lampshade from start to finish. The following core skills will be covered: binding the lampshade frame, making a pattern template, cutting and stitching the fabric to the lampshade frame, lining the lampshade, finishing and trimmings.
The course involves both hand and machine stitching. Previous experience of both would be an advantage (though no experience of making a lampshade is required!), as is a passion for textiles and the patience to sit and enjoy the process of hand stitching.
At the end of the course, we will discuss sourcing of frames, materials and other supplies. Additional frames will be available to purchase from your tutor. You will leave the course with the confidence, knowledge (and enthusiasm!) to go on to create your own beautiful tailored lampshades after the course has finished.
Arrival Day - this is the first date listed above
Courses start early evening. Residential students to arrive from 4pm, non-residential students to arrive by 6.45pm.
6.45pm: Welcome, followed by dinner (included).
8 - 9pm: First teaching session, attendance is essential.
Classes 9.15 - 5pm, lunch is included.
From 6.30pm: Dinner (included for residential students).
Evening working - students may have access to workshops until 9pm, but only with their tutor's permission and provided any health and safety guidelines are observed.
Classes 9.15am - 3pm, lunch is included.
Residential students are to vacate their rooms by 10am please.
(This timetable is for courses of more than one day in length. The tutor may make slight variations)
- On this course, the tutor will supply lampshade frames and suitable lining fabric.
What students need to bring
- One metre of suitable light to mid-weight fabric (of standard 136cm width). Cotton, linen and silk are all ideal, but avoid anything with any embroidered areas. Please note that fabric will be positioned on the bias, so you may wish to take this into account if choosing a patterned fabric.
- A basic sewing kit (including fabric scissors, needles, pins, tailor’s chalk, thimble, tape measure)
- Any trimming or beads that you wish to incorporate into your finished lampshade (2 metres should be sufficient)
- A sewing machine if you wish to use your own
- Notebook and pencil
Available to buy
- Available from tutor:
- Additional frames will be available to purchase if you wish to make a second or matching lampshade. A small amount of fabric will also be available to buy. All items will be charged individually and must be paid to the tutor before the end of the course.
Please wear appropriate clothing/aprons for the workshop or studio, this includes stout covered footwear (no sandals or open toes).