Learn how to prepare bases, plan and design, and how to cut ceramic tiles and selected elements from old or broken decorative plates and cups for assembling and making into mosaic wall pieces. You will consider line, pattern, colour and texture, and you will also learn how to grout and finish your work.
The course will focus on using mixed and found ceramic material (and some glass) to explore line, pattern, colour and texture within mosaic. Subject matter and sources of inspiration relating to faces will be suggested for your designs.
Arrival Day - this is the first date listed above
Courses start early evening. Residential students to arrive from 4pm, non-residential students to arrive by 6.45pm.
6.45pm: Welcome, followed by dinner (included).
8 - 9pm: First teaching session, attendance is essential.
Classes 9.15 - 5pm, lunch is included.
From 6.30pm: Dinner (included for residential students).
Evening working - students may have access to workshops until 9pm, but only with their tutor's permission and provided any health and safety guidelines are observed.
Classes 9.15am - 3pm, lunch is included.
Residential students are to vacate their rooms by 10am please.
(This timetable is for courses of more than one day in length. The tutor may make slight variations)
- MDF boards, grout, adhesive cement and exterior PVA are provided.
What students need to bring
- Please bring a collection of old or broken, decorated bone china/porcelain/ceramic plates, cups, saucers, lids, handles, spouts, found fragments, etc. Fine china is better than thick ceramics, and plates with border patterns and stripes are particularly useful.
- You can also bring a pencil, sketchbooks, notebooks and any other ceramic material or mosaic tiles that you might like to include in your work.
- A collection of small plastic boxes for bits is useful, plus aprons.
- Bubble wrap and a box might be useful for taking work home.
Available to buy
- Available from shop:
- A good selection of art materials, including pencils and paper
- Available from tutor:
- A selection of mosaic tiles and millefiori to buy
Please wear appropriate clothing/aprons for the workshop or studio. This includes stout covered footwear, i.e. no open-toes or sandals.