Specifically for beginners, this step-by-step course guides you through the key techniques that will improve your powers of observation and get you drawing with confidence. The focus will be on the basics of how to accurately record proportion, mark-making through the exploration of different drawing materials and light and shade techniques that will give your drawings form.
You will gain first-hand experience of key drawing techniques that you can continue to use to improve your drawing accuracy and style.
Using a range of drawing materials on paper, you will work from still life arrangements following several distinct stages to build up the drawings from planning to tonal work.
The course is a series of drawing workshops, including group and individual tutoring. There are short group assessments at key stages throughout the course, and individual style and experimentation are encouraged. There is an emphasis on the development and practice of technique rather than the production of a finished drawing.
Arrival Day - this is the first date listed above
Courses start early evening. Residential students to arrive from 4pm, non-residential students to arrive by 6.45pm.
6.45pm: Welcome, followed by dinner (included).
8 - 9pm: First teaching session, attendance is essential.
Classes 9.15 - 5pm, lunch is included.
From 6.30pm: Dinner (included for residential students).
Evening working - students may have access to workshops until 9pm, but only with their tutor's permission and provided any health and safety guidelines are observed.
Classes 9.15am - 3pm, lunch is included.
Residential students are to vacate their rooms by 10am please.
(This timetable is for courses of more than one day in length. The tutor may make slight variations)
- The cost of providing some materials for the first session and a 2B and 4B pencil.
What students need to bring
- An item or two of interest that can be included in a still life arrangement (nothing valuable please)
- Easel, drawing boards and portable seats are provided by the College.
- Pencils: HB, 2B, 3B, 4B, 6B, 8B
- Charcoal sticks, varying sizes
- Conte sticks – black and white
- White chalk sticks/pencils
- Craft knife and sharpener
- A2 cartridge paper sketchpad or individual sheets
- A2/A1 black paper
Available to buy
- Available from shop:
- A good variety of art materials including pencils - HB, 2B, 3B, 4B, 6B, 8B, charcoal, Conte sticks in black and white, sticks of white chalk, white pencils, craft knives, sharpeners, cartridge paper, A2 sketchpads, A2/A1 black paper
Please wear appropriate clothing/aprons for the workshop or studio. This includes stout covered footwear, i.e. no open-toes or sandals.