Work with a wooden mould and high quality yarns, you will learn how to cover the tassel mould vertically with yarn, making either pompoms or mini-tassels for the skirt, and you will bind the central section with a ruff. The tassel will be assembled with a cord, made on a hand-held cordtwister. High quality cotton and wool yarns will be used in a colour range that includes rich and strong, as well as soft and subtle, combinations. Techniques are taught by demonstration, followed by careful individual guidance and discussion.
There will be an illustrated lecture on the history of passementerie, and how trimmings – including weaving, cordspinning and tassel making – are made in a professional workshop.
By the end of the course, you will have completed one tassel, demonstrating a range of basic techniques to a high standard of finish and balanced colour.
Arrival Day - this is the first date listed above
Courses start early evening. Residential students to arrive from 4pm, non-residential students to arrive by 6.45pm.
6.45pm: Welcome, followed by dinner (included).
8 - 9pm: First teaching session, attendance is essential.
Classes 9.15 - 5pm, lunch is included.
From 6.30pm: Dinner (included for residential students).
Evening working - students may have access to workshops until 9pm, but only with their tutor's permission and provided any health and safety guidelines are observed.
Classes 9.15am - 3pm, lunch is included.
Residential students are to vacate their rooms by 10am please.
(This timetable is for courses of more than one day in length. The tutor may make slight variations)
What students need to bring
- A tape measure and ruler
- A hair comb
- Wire snips, if you have them
- A few knitting needles, including 2, 3 and 4mm
- Good sharp scissors – one large and one small pair
- A small ball of old knitting wool
- A selection of sewing needles, including one about 6–8cm long with an eye big enough to take a button thread
Available to buy
- Available from shop:
- 1 x small tube of Uhu or Bostick clear glue
- Available from tutor:
- The tutor will bring along a range of tassel moulds, gimps and yarns for students to purchase; these will cost around £15–20 per tassel, depending on the size and shape. This charge should be paid to the tutor before the end of the course, by cash or cheque.
Please wear appropriate clothing/aprons for the workshop or studio. This includes stout covered footwear, i.e. no open-toes or sandals.