You will start by making a beautiful silver textured ring. This step-by-step project will introduce you to the essential jewellery making skills of mark-making, forming, soldering and filing, as well as how to finish a ring.
Once you have completed your ring, you will move onto a second project of your choosing, in consultation with your tutor; this could be a necklace, bracelet, earrings or even another ring in a complimentary design. There will be ample time for the tutor to help you and discuss your ideas.
Day one - Saturday 10am – 5pm:
- Watch and take part in demonstrations of various techniques to make a textured silver ring
- Experience making your own simple ring
- Learn cutting out techniques and start your individual project
Day two - Sunday 9am – 4pm:
- Continue and finish your project with support from the tutor
- Take part in an informal display of work and discussion of everyone’s achievements on the course
Please note: this course will not cover stone setting. Please sign up to a dedicated stone setting course for working with gems and stones.
Timetable for 2 day, short weekend courses
Saturday, session one: 10am-1pm & 2-5pm. Please arrive by 9.45am.
Sunday, session two: 9am-1pm & 2-4pm.
Lunch and tea/coffee is included.
- All materials will be provided by the College: silver sheet 40 x 25 x 0.6mm, copper sheet 110 x 50mm, round silver wire 2.5mm, hard solder and wet and dry sandpaper.
What students need to bring
- Any jewellery or beading tools, if you have them
- An apron
Available to buy
- Available from shop:
- Additional materials can be purchased from the shop, including copper sheet and wire, silver solder, saw blades, abrasive paper and drill bits.
- The College Shop stocks a range of silver sheet, wire, rod, tube and findings. These will be available in set sizes and lengths, suitable for a wide range of projects.
- Available from tutor:
- Silver earring findings
- Jump rings
Please wear appropriate clothing/aprons for the workshop or studio. This includes stout covered footwear, i.e. no open-toed shoes or sandals. Long hair needs to be tied back.