Learn how to create a variety of stunning effects for contemporary jewellery using anodised aluminium, a fascinating and diverse material that is lightweight and will keep bright colours without tarnishing over time.
The course runs from Saturday 10am – 5pm and Sunday 9am -4pm and will introduce you to working with pre-anodised aluminium. You will focus on how to achieve decorative colouring effects to make lots of samples and at least one finished piece of jewellery. You will be introduced to a host of colouring techniques through demonstrations and discussions, including dip-dyeing, direct application, printmaking techniques and the clever use of resists.
You will create a series of samples and notes as you try out each colouring technique, providing a useful reference collection. You will be encouraged to experiment and explore the capabilities of the material before making final pieces of jewellery. Projects will be tailored by the tutor to suit your jewellery making experience. During the weekend, you will also cover designing for anodised aluminium and an introduction to cold-connections, along with basic jewellery making techniques.
You can expect to come away from the course with a good set of samples, at least one completed piece of jewellery and the confidence to continue exploring the subject at home. You will be given notes and a useful list of suppliers during the course.
Timetable for 2 day, short weekend courses
Saturday, session one: 10am-1pm & 2-5pm. Please arrive by 9.45am.
Sunday, session two: 9am-1pm & 2-4pm.
Lunch and tea/coffee is included.
- On this course, the tutor and College will supply all of the materials, including: pre-anodised aluminium sheet (1x A4 sheet of each, 0.5mm and 1mm, per student), dyes, de-ionised water, use of alcohol marker pens and alcohol ink pads, plus other general materials.
What students need to bring
- An apron
- A sketchbook, pen and pencil
- You are encouraged to bring along any colour reference material.
- Optional: some prepared rubber stamps you may have, any jewellery findings or silver wire to incorporate into a finished piece of jewellery.
Available to buy
- Available from shop:
- Silver can be purchased from the College Shop, which stocks a range of sheet, wire, rod, tube and findings. These will be available in set sizes and lengths, suitable for a wide range of projects.
- Sketchbooks and general art materials
- Available from tutor:
- Silver wire 1mm, 0.8mm or silver findings should you need them
- Additional anodised aluminium sheets
Please wear appropriate clothing/aprons for the workshop or studio, this includes stout covered footwear (no sandals or open toes). Please tie your hair back if it is long.